Friday 11 February 2011

The wit of Jack Straw and other matters Parliamentary.

No, I'm not being sarcastic.  This from the debate on lag voting rights:

Mr Ruffley: I am grateful to the right hon. Gentleman. Is not the essential problem that the European Court in Strasbourg became an appellate court for British cases in 1965-not in 1950-and that that was decided by a British Cabinet without any debate in this House?


Mr Straw: I was not in the House in 1965. [Hon. Members: "Are you sure?"] I was causing trouble at universities at the time, so I have an alibi-I was at the scene of some other crimes.

The generally loathsome MacShane also attempted some sarcasm:

I know that this will make me unpopular with the Daily Express, the Daily Mail, The Sun and The Daily Telegraph, which have constantly supported my political views over so many years, but surely we can still find a tiny space for classic, do-gooding, bleeding-heart British liberalism in contemporary politics. It is sad that there is no one left on the left to say that the right is not right, as we are told to bow to this atavistic tabloid hate against prisoners.

I have not checked all of the dailies, so if this is all well known, I've been wasting my time but here are those who voted against the motion:

Beith, rh Sir Alan (LD)
Bottomley, Sir Peter (Con)
Brake, Tom (LD)
Edwards, Jonathan (Plaid)
Foster, rh Mr Don (LD)
Gardiner, Barry (Lab)
Green, Kate (Lab)
Hames, Duncan (LD)
Hermon, Lady (Ind, ex UU)
Hughes, rh Simon (LD)
Huppert, Dr Julian (LD)
Jackson, Glenda (Lab)
Llwyd, rh Mr Elfyn (Plaid)
Love, Mr Andrew (Lab)
Lucas, Caroline (Green)
McCarthy, Kerry (Lab)
McDonnell, John (Lab)
Munt, Tessa (LD)
Qureshi, Yasmin (Lab)
Reid, Mr Alan (LD)
Williams, Hywel (Plaid)
Williams, Stephen (LD)
Tellers for the Noes:

Jeremy Corbyn (Lab) and
Lorely Burt (LD)

So, one Tory, one Indy, one Extreme Left, three Plaid, eight Labour and 10 LD.

And what of MacShane?  He couldn't be bothered to vote, by the look of things

No comments:

Post a Comment